The Symbol of Hungarian Freedom
In 1945, the retreating German troops blew up all transport links across the Danube in Budapest. The steel Franz Joseph Bridge was less affected by the explosion than the concrete structures. Its lacelike fragments were lifted from the river bottom and reassembled to connect Buda and Pest after World War II (in 1.5 years). The first renovated bridge has been given a name “Liberty Bridge”.
Nowadays, Hungarians protect the symbol of their freedom against corrosion – the only one enemy left.
Geopolymer-based coatings are developed to protect metal from fire, frost, water and wear damage, reducing maintenance time and expenses for the city well-being.